POSITION: MEDICAL ASSISTANT
DEPARTMENT: RURAL HEALTH CLINIC
FLSA STATUS: NON-EXEMPT
Please read this job description carefully to ensure that you understand its contents, the job requirements, and expectations before signing this document.
Cares for patients in the Rural Health Clinic under direction of nursing staff by performing the following job functions.
- Responsible to the Clinic Director
- Regular contact with all Rural Health Clinic staff, hospital staff, Physicians, and the public.
As an integral part of our community, Franklin Medical Center’s mission is to provide the highest quality health care and customer satisfaction to all those we serve. We are committed to delivering compassionate, capable, and personalized treatment to our patients and their families, always keeping in mind that our responsibility is to the health needs of the people.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Receives and follows administrative schedules/instructions from supervisor.
- Files and distributes correspondence as directed.
- Runs errands, takes and delivers messages, etc. as directed.
- Creates and maintains files and transfers outdated files to storeroom as needed.
- Is helpful and courteous to the public.
- Alphabetizes and files various patient records and medications.
- Performs various functions on computer as necessary with minimal errors.
- Attends and participates in in-service education classes and on-the-job training programs as directed.
- Reports all unsafe/hazardous conditions, defective equipment, etc., to supervisor immediately.
- Knows where fire extinguishers and exits are and can operate an extinguisher.
- Ensures administrative supplies have been replenished in work areas as necessary.
- Keeps work/assignment areas clean and office equipment properly covered before leaving.
- Maintains confidentiality of all information regarding employees, patients, medical staff, hospital business, etc.
- Reports to work on time.
- Keeps absences at a minimum; calls in as per policy and procedure when absence is necessary.
- Interviews patient to determine problem/condition and documents chart.
- Obtains and records patient’s vital signs and weight.
- Assists physician with patient examinations as needed.
- Reviews physician’s orders, lab requests, or follow-up needs with patient.
- Documents services performed in the EMR.
- Provides nursing care as directed including but not limited to obtaining blood specimens, dressing wounds, injection administration and other requested nursing duties.
- Sterilizes equipment and supplies.
- Assures supplies are ordered and readily available.
- Respond to patient telephone inquiries.
- Follow up with patients who miss appointments.
- Follows up with patients on lab results, including the scheduling of any additional tests.
- Perform other duties as required.
High School diploma or equivalent and graduate of a Medical Assistant Program. Certified with American Association of Medical Assistants.
1 year of experience
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Strong customer/patient skills
- Knowledge of computers and office equipment
- Knowledge of electronic health records
- Must have excellent organizational skills and be an effective time manager and multi-tasker
This job requires frequent lifting and carrying items up to 25 pounds unassisted, including assisting patients when required. It also requires frequent bending, reaching, repetitive hand movements, standing, walking, squatting and sitting, as well as some heavy lifting, pushing and pulling exerted regularly throughout a regular work shift. This job may require exposure to communicable diseases, bodily fluids, medicinal preparations and other conditions common to a hospital environment.
OSHA EXPOSURE CATEGORY A:
Has exposure to blood borne pathogens