POSITION: ACUTE INPATIENT DIALYSIS DIRECTOR
FLSA STATUS: NON-EXEMPT
JOB SUMMARY: Under general direction from the director of nursing, the dialysis director will have full responsibility of running the dialysis unit. The dialysis director is responsible for leading and overseeing a clinical dialysis unit staff, patient care, and facility. The director will lead the team to provide the highest level of care to patients and ensure their safety, comfort, and wellbeing.
Responsible to: Director of Nursing
Positions Directly Supervises: Entire Clinical Staff
Regular Contact with: All Surgery Clinic personnel, Physicians, and the public.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
1. Leading, supervising, and developing the entire clinical staff – licensed nurses, unlicensed hemodialysis technicians, and a medical office assistant – to facilitate operation of a contemporary renal dialysis setting.
2. Management of the entire employment process, including determining hiring needs, interviewing and making hiring decisions, performance evaluations, and ongoing coaching, performance and conflict management.
3. Management and coordination of all patient care and education for the unit, including partnering with internal clinical training, nutrition, and social services, as well as patients’ physicians and nurse practitioners.
4. Ensuring safety of both patients and employees of the unit.
5. Financial responsibility to staffing and clinical outcomes for the unit, ensuring business results.
The essential functions listed are not a comprehensive inventory of all duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Employees may also perform other duties as assigned.
1. Patient Care Supervision
2. Understands basic renal function and the consequences of renal failure. Observes and records patient’s responses to renal failure and its treatment. Directs and supervises the care of the patients on dialysis. Performs thorough patient assessments as evidenced by documentation.
3. Critical Results/Situations – Uses professional discretion in critical or emergency situations and directs the necessary intervention. Recognizes changes in patient’s condition on dialysis and makes necessary adjustments in their therapy. Notifies the physician, providing the appropriate information, and implements physician’s orders.
4. Patient Schedule – Provides oversight of the patient schedule and makes staff assignments based on priorities for patient care and skill level of the staff. Consistently reviews and evaluates patient priorities as changes occur in the condition of the patient or center. Directs staff in work assignments to address these changes.
5. Patient Admissions and Discharges – Verifies the accuracy and safety of all orders, implements them and/or delegates to appropriate staff. Ensures discharge management is accurate and complete.
6. Access Management – Create and lead the vascular access team and ensures consistent, timely monitoring and verifies appropriate action of identified problems. Collects Infiltration Reports, ensures infiltration instructions are delivered, and notifies MD as appropriate.
7. Anemia Management – Provides routine oversight and assures appropriate action of critical lab values. Assumes responsibility in the absence of the Anemia Manager.
8. Adequacy Management – Sets the admission dialysis prescription per MD approval for new admissions. Assembles the monthly adequacy team including, but not limited to, the Dietician and Center Manager to discuss what aspects of the treatment can be modified to correct deficiencies in the delivery of dialysis.
9. Patient Rounding – Implements routine rounding of patients to proactively identify needs and concerns of in-center patients. Ensures patient needs and concerns will be evaluated at point of service. Ensures the confidentiality of patient and employee information.
10. Incident Reports – Responsible for the review and analysis of internal incident reports and reports significant incidents promptly to the compliance officer. Aggregates data to identify trends in accordance with the QAPI program.
11. Patient Care Conferences – Responsible for monthly management of interdisciplinary team care conferences.
12. Medical Record Management – Assumes responsibility for the overall supervision and management of the medical records as outlined in the Policy and Procedures manual. Responsible for accuracy, completeness and timeliness of all data entry.
13. Quality Assessment Performance Improvement – A required member of the QAPI team who monitors aggregate clinical outcome data to identify trends, analyze root causes and implement interventions to correct real and/or potential problems in the center. Responsible for oversight of QAPI projects related to identified problems.
14. Infection Control and Vaccinations – Ensures employee compliance with all infection control policies and procedures to prevent and control infections. Maintains neat and clean environment. Ensures all infections are correctly documented (including NHSN reporting as required) and appropriate care is rendered per protocol or MD order. Provides oversight of patient vaccinations including Hepatitis B, Seasonal Flu, and Pneumonia. Provides data as required by the Renal Network Environmental/Vaccination Scans.
15. Renal Network Compliance – Follows guidelines and goals in accordance with the legislative mandate for the ESRD Network Program.
16. Governing Body Meetings – The Center Manager is a member of the local governing body and is responsible for the direct supervision of all aspects of the center operations and serves as the designated Administrator for the center. Meetings shall be held according to the Governing Body and Center Governance Policy.
1. Staffing – Promotes a teamwork approach by offering information, advice, and assistance to all unit staff members in a positive, courteous, and cooperative manner. Assists the staffing coordinator with staff scheduling and interprets staffing policies.
2. Staff Meetings – Responsible for conducting monthly staff meeting to address any areas of concern and to ensure proper communication between all staff members.
3. Focal Reviews – Participates in evaluations. Supervises, evaluates, and determines clinical competency in conjunction with the director of nursing.
4. Policy and Procedure – Provides oversight of policies and procedures and acts on noncompliance including notifying the director of nursing. Ensures staff documents thoroughly and correctly. Effectively communicates new policy and procedure updates.
1. Supplies – Ensures proper use of supplies to minimize waste. Oversees adequate supply stock, and communicates needs to the purchasing director.
2. Budget – Monitors operating and capital budget to ensure containment of controllable costs.
3. Facility – maintained in good repair.
4. Equipment – maintained and safe.
5. Responsible for communicating request/needs to the director of nursing.
6. Understands legal consequences of nursing actions, both immediate and long term. Adheres to all policies found in the Employee Handbook (i.e. dress code, professionalism, etc.).
7. Contributes to harmonious and constructive working relationships with all staff members.
Education and Training: Graduate from an accredited School of Nursing or equivalent, BSN preferred. Current Louisiana Registers Nurse (RN) license. CNN or CDN certification or within 1 year of eligibility. Current BLS/ACLS Certifications.
Work Experience: Two years of Clinical Manager experience or comparable. Three years of hemodialysis nursing experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required: Understands basic renal function and the consequences of renal failure. Observes and records patient’s responses to renal failure and its treatment. Directs and supervises the care of the patients on dialysis. Performs thorough patient assessments as evidenced by documentation.
Physical Requirements: Must be able to handle a fast paced environment. Have a positive attitude, and a willingness to work at anything assigned. Be in good health, able to stand, walk, stoop, bend and sit for prolonged periods.
OSHA EXPOSURE CATEGORY: A. Has exposure to blood borne pathogens.