- Keeps supervisor informed concerning patient, area needs, problems, and grievances. Meets with OR supervisor concerning procedures, policies, needs, and problems.
- Capable of performing any basic aide duties. Complies with established nursing standards and established policies and procedures.
- Maintains good employee relations hospital wide and with public. Cooperates with OR and other hospital departments to achieve goals.
- Keeps up-to-date in field of nursing. Attends in-service meetings in department and hospital. Attends at least one fire and safety program per year. Maintains CPR update.
- Assists surgical team during surgical procedures. Applies proper technique as required. Changes into proper garb and performs scrub hand washing routine. Arranges supplies and equipment for maximum efficiency in handling, and in anticipation of surgeon’s needs. Counts sponges, needles and instruments with circulating nurse before and upon completion of surgical care and also during case if requested to do so. Gives specimen to circulation nurse. Use proper technique efficiently in handling instruments during and after procedure. Assists in transferring patients. Assists in cleaning and sterilizing. Put the proper dressing in place when the surgery is completed. Help to move patient to the recovery stretcher. Leave the surgery in a state of readiness for immediate use.
- Teaches other personnel the duties of the Operating Room Technician.
- Assists CRNA as directed.
- Knowledge of Central Supply policies and procedures.
- Gives inservice as requested.
- Performs other duties as assigned by Operating Room Supervisor.
- Takes night and weekend call and extra call as requested for vacation, leave, or sickness relief. As scheduled or requested by OR Supervisor.
- Performs other duties as needed in OR. Assists in Cysto and Minor and general surgery.
- Uses established hospital and nursing hierarchical structure for problems and grievance. Follows procedures and policies and charts of organization established by the hospital.
- Complies with hospital dress code. Using established hospital policy.
- Reliable in attendance. Follows hospital policy concerning time clock, sick time, vacation time, and is punctual in attendance.
- Protects patient’s rights. Maintains confidentiality of patient information and patient privacy.
Education and Training: Certificate of completion from an approved Surgical Technologist Program. Certification preferred. BLS
Work Experience: Experience in Orthopedic Surgery preferred. Minimum 1 year Scrub Tech experience preferred.
Physical Requirements: Lifting weights over 25 lbs. e.g. Lifting and
moving or helping lift patients of awkward weights, moving and carrying
equipment. Repeated bending, stooping, squatting, pushing, pulling
movements. Medium to high level of stress. Frequent interruptions. Visual
and hearing acuity as well as cognitive function to make observations and
communicate these to other staff.