POSITION: WARD CLERK
DEPARTMENT: NURSING SERVICE
FLSA STATUS: NON-EXEMPT
JOB SUMMARY: Under direction and supervision of Supervisor/Charge Nurse of nursing unit, is responsible for manning the nursing station and performing clerical duties, reception duties, and requisitioning supplies, equipment, nourishments, and services from other departments as directed by Supervisor/Nursing Staff.
As an integral part of our community, Franklin Medical Center’s mission is to provide the highest quality health care and customer satisfaction to all those we serve. We are committed to delivering compassionate, capable, and personalized treatment to our patients and their families, always keeping in mind that our responsibility is to the health needs of the people.
Responsible to: Supervisor or Nursing Staff
Positions Directly Supervised: None
Regular Contact with: All hospital departments, Physicians, and the public.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND STANDARDS:
- Understands the rules and regulations of Franklin Medical Center. Maintains good working relationships.
- Complies with established policies and procedures.
- Cooperates with all departments to achieve goals.
- Keeps all information confidential
- Maintains patient privacy.
- Acts in a professional manner.
- Follows dress code.
- Maintains a good attendance record and a current health record.
- Always notifies Nursing Service if ill or cannot report for scheduled shift.
- Knows that repeated absenteeism is a reason for dismissal.
- Keeps current in the field of Nursing.
- Attends annual in-service ( includes fire and safety), monthly staff meetings, seminars when possible
- Answers telephone.
- Must have excellent telephone manners.
- Must be able to take an accurate telephone message. Must be able to relay the messages in a timely and accurate manner.
- Must maintain professionalism at all times.
- Maintains good public relations.
- Will greet and help all patients and visitors, politely and promptly.
- Can use the intercom system efficiently.
- Will answer all calls promptly, politely, and in a professional manner.
- Will be able to assist physicians and nursing staff as needed
- Keeps nurses informed.
- Passes all information to Charge Nurse or Supervisor obtained via telephone or other means in a timely manner.
- Maintains good working relationships with co-workers.
- Has the ability to perform various clerical duties.
- Maintains a current diet sheet. Keeps dietary informed of all admits and discharges.
- Notifies admissions of change in patient admit status.
- Keeps current charge cards on all patients in both the supply and IV
- All faxed lab, radiology and respiratory results are placed on the chart in a timely fashion.
- Maintains a clean and safe physical environment.
- Keeps work area clean and neat.
- Notifies housekeeping as needed.
- Notifies maintenance as needed.
- Does all clerical work required.
- Makes follow up appointment with the patient’s physician office.
- Calls someone to assist the patient out of the facility when needed.
- Requisition for supplies.
- Will call and request supplies from Purchasing Department as instructed per nursing staff or supervisor.
- Assist with secretarial duties.
- Does secretarial work for the department head or shift supervisors when needed.
- All other duties as assigned.
- *Does whatever it takes to his/her job done as long as it is legal, ethical, and moral
RELATIONSHIPS AND CONTACTS:
Reports to Unit Supervisor or Nursing Staff.
Maintains contact with departments furnishing supplies and services to the
Uses established hospital and nursing hierarchical structure for problems
As directed by Supervisor.
DESIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS AND OTHER PERSONNEL SPECIFICATIONS:
Education – High School graduate. On-the-job training or nursing assistant’s course
(or equivalent training)
Experience- Familiarity with nursing department operation or ward clerk experience.
Computer skills desired.
Working Conditions: Mostly Sedentary position. Light Work. Occasional prolonged
walking and standing. High level of stress. Visual and hearing
acuity as well as cognitive function to make observations and
communicate these to the other staff members.
OSHA EXPOSURE CATEGORY B: EMPLOYEES IN THIS JOB CLASSIFICATION HAVE EXPOSURE
TO BLOOD-BORNE PATHOGENS.